Filed under Sports

Girls and Boys Swim team defeats Desert Pines

The Sunrise Mountain girls swim team won their meet Saturday against Desert Pines 142-28. The boys swim team also won their meet against Desert Pines 62-29. The girls swim team wants to be known for their hard work and perseverance they preserve for every win they accomplish.

“You have to practice every day and be devoted,” said junior Madelyn Hill. “And realize there’s always room for improvement.

Hill won the 100-yard freestyle event with a close time of 1:30. She notes on the win being quite surprising to her since she’s not the best at freestyle events.

“My event was personally difficult because I focus more on breaststrokes,” Hill said. “Freestyle everyone should know how to do but I suck at it.”

Hill wasn’t the only Miner swimmer to endure; Yarely Navarrete also won both her events after only recently being cleared to swim again.

Navarrete won the 100-yard backstroke in 1:44 and the 50-yard freestyle in 38 seconds.  The key to winning for her;

“I keep swimming, and I don’t stop when I’m tired,” Navarrete also went on to say “My event was a little hard but mostly because my arm is injured, but other than that, it was pretty easy. The only thing I did that helped me win was not stopping even though I have an arm injury and I hurt my ankle a little before the event.”

The Miners swim team is clearly motivated to do their best despite their obstacles, but they say the motivation to keep swimming happens more at practice than the actual events.

“Every day we start off with two 100-yards also known as freestyles,” said Hill. “Then we finish with 10 minutes of kicking so that really helps.”

“Everything on the list that coach makes us do,” Navarrete joked. “There’s so much in so little time. The expectations rise for us to the finish.”

The swims teams’ next meet is this Thursday. The Miners are very excited for their next opportunity to receive new lower times.

“We have times now so on Thursday we’ll be set up with those of similar times,” said Hill. “On Thursday we won’t have to feel like we’re too slow or too fast for our groups.”

“I’m excited and looking forward to our next meet because I want to do better and go a little faster,” Navarrete said. “I want to show my team that you don’t have to be completely physically healthy to do good or even win.”