Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls beat Mojave and Western

The boys and girls track and field team had a meet this past Tuesday, and although the boys took a loss, the girls did exceptionally well and ranked first against Mojave and Western with 71 points.

“We made a goal at the beginning of the season,” said sophomore Hope Humes. “We want to make State and get a ring which the girls team has never had happen before. We set goals and now we’re trying to accomplish them.”

The Miners are showing that with perseverance and love for the sport they can achieve as a team and individually any goals they set for themselves.

“I just keep pushing and I don’t stop,” Humes said. “If I get tired, I try not to think about it. I give my all rather it’s hard or not.”

“Every day in practice we run and we try hard,” said Senior Dior Griffith-Brown. “It’s painful but it makes us better.”

Humes finished first place in the 400-meter Dash in 66.06 seconds. Brown also finished first in the 100-meter dash in 13.35 seconds.

“My goal is always to do better than the last time,” Brown added. “For my next meet, I’m looking to place first for my 100-meter dash and decrease my numbers and get back to only 12 seconds.”

And although Humes and Brown did extremely well in their events, they weren’t the only Miners to succeed at their accomplishments.  Delayna Bolin was first in the 100-meters hurdles event in 18.95 seconds, Mikayla Cox took first for the long jump with a distance of 14’7”. Kapua Pulotu placed first for the discus with a distance of 107’8” and Aiyanna Ramirez took first in the 300-meter hurdles event in 58.59 seconds.

“We do so well as a team because our teammates motivate us to keep going,” said Humes. “Carlos always pushes us to keep going and our coach especially. I didn’t want to do one of the events but they pushed me and I ended up succeeding.”

As the next meet for both the girls and boys track team nears around, no one on either team is holding back. They’re striving to do better, to earn rings.

“It’s definitely rivalry and competition but it’s the friendly kind,” said Brown.

“We’re trying to show other schools that Sunrise is a good school,” Humes said. “We’re good at sports and we’re serious.”