Filed under Prom

Why people avoid the night of a lifetime

Prom. Some people consider it the high school seniors rite of passage. A night filled with pretty dresses, dancing, and the last time to go to a dance with your high school friends. A night where you truly feel beautiful and you are surrounded by people who make you feel good about yourself.

For some people, they do not see eye to eye with the idea of Prom and do not buy Prom tickets.

But why is that? Why do students not see Prom as a night to remember? Why do they not buy the tickets?

1. The theme

We all agree with the theme that we voted for this year’s Prom right? We all like the theme right? Not necessarily.

“I know a lot of people who didn’t like the theme when they announced it,” said senior Anna Snyder. “Like our theme is Beauty and the Beast. A lot of people liked the other themes better and when they don’t get their way they think of something petty like, ‘Oh, my vote didn’t matter because I didn’t get the theme I wanted. I am not going to go to Prom.’ ‘I don’t like the theme. It is dumb.’ It is these thoughts about the theme that make people not want to go to prom.”

People can be petty about not getting the theme that they wanted for Prom. They the negative thoughts about the theme corrupt their mind and make the theme a factor as to why people do not buy the ticket for prom and go to prom.

1. The cost of Prom

As a high school student, money does not come by us very easily. So whenever we hear about the price of Prom tickets we are very frantic and think, “I need the money for Prom! It is the one night with my special someone!”

Prom may seem like just a set price of about $35 to $75 for just the ticket, but it is not at all just that ticket.

“Money is a huge issue when it comes to Prom,” said senior Kalinzell Acevedo. “You have to buy the dress or tuxedo, the corsage, pay for your ride to get there, and even a room sometimes. When you add that up, it is a lot of money that you have to put out.”

Prom may seem like a measly $35 to $75, but when you do the math factoring in the cost of the dress/tuxedo, the corsage, the possible limbo taking you there, and a possible hotel room. The cost is over $1000. That is a lot of money for a high school student to pay and is another reason why people do not buy the prom ticket and go to Prom.

1. The stress of Prom

We may be excited about Prom and walking across the dance floor because the stress of Prom is all gone after solving all of the problems of who I am going to take to prom, having the money that you need to pay for everything for prom, finishing all of your school work and not worry about it.

Some of us live for that moment, but some of us do not.

“There are a multitude of factors when it comes to putting together a prom night,” said Snyder. “If one these factors aren’t taken care of, we stress about it and it distracts us from the idea of going to prom, but once the stress from whatever is happening is gone you can focus better on planning your prom.”

It is relieving and fun to have all of having the building blocks of prom taken care, but if we do not have one of these factors accomplished we completely avoid buying a ticket to Prom and focus more on the one thing that we were stressing on.

1. Workload from classes

We love writing essays! We love doing projects! We love schoolwork before Prom!

Usually, when these things are not taken care of before Prom we stress over and spend more time focusing and thinking about that assignment rather than Prom.

“This goes along with the stress of Prom,” said junior Bertha Dabbs. “Because we want to make sure we keep a good grade in the classes we need to pass in order to graduate! If we don’t finish that big project than it’s a sign that someone won’t go to prom.”

When we have a couple of assignments that are worth a lot of points of our grade, it can be a big, red stop sign saying you cannot go to prom and you cannot buy your ticket until you finish this assignment!

1. Fear of not being with the one you want to spend it with

We all want the company from someone, especially when it comes to Prom! But is not having a special someone a factor for not going to Prom?

“My biggest fear is not having a date to go to prom with,” said Acevedo. “Like I understand that I can go to Prom with my friends, but being that it is my senior year I want to spend it with someone special. I want that memory and I want to tell my kids that I went with so and so! It was amazing and I had the best time of my life with them! Not oh… I just went with my friends. I believe Prom is a memory to be spent with one person instead of a group of friends. I am not saying it wrong to go out with friends for Prom, it is just my belief that prom is spent with someone special.”

Prom is meant to be spent with the special someone. It may be an individual or it may be a group of friends. When we do not have either of those things it can cause us to not buy a ticket to prom and not go spend our time there.

Some of us live for the day for Prom, but some of us do not. If Prom is your thing then go out there and celebrate it! If Prom is not your thing then that is OK too! Spend that time in your own unique way!