TEACHER PROFILE: Special Education’s Ms. Martin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jayro Partida

Photo by Jayro Partida

Photo by Jayro Partida

Shamil Joy Marzan Ilumin, Staff Writer

Ms. Martin is a new teacher here at Sunrise Mountain who teaches special education and is also coaching the girls soccer team this year.

She is originally from Pennsylvania, but moved here to Vegas in August of last year.

Before coming to Sunrise Mountain, Martin was a special education teacher and transition coordinator in a small district in New Jersey.

She chose to make a move in her career to Sunrise Mountain because of our principal Ms. Llapur. After interviewing with her she was impressed with Llapur’s commitment to making a difference and how much she cared about her students. Ever since then, she doesn’t regret her decision and truly loves working here.

“I felt that my career, where I was, I was losing that focus,” said Martin. “I wanted to work somewhere where everybody really cared about the kids.”

She started coaching here at Sunrise Mountain just this year, but previously had coached for nine years in New Jersey at the high school where she worked. She took the team all the way to the region semifinals, one game short of reaching the state tournament.

Martin wants students to make memories in high school that they will always hold dear whatever that maybe through sports, activities, and academics.

“I hope that every kid makes a connection with someone on campus that will mean something in their future,” said Martin