Girl’s Basketball Team Has High Expectations This Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Cheryl Edenfield, Sports Writer

As the winter season comes around, so does the start of girls basketball season. The team graduated two seniors last year and have high hopes for the season to come.

The head coach for the Lady Miners this year is coach Bennett. He has taken over for coach Sexton, who moved away as of last year. The team has made huge improvements within the last two seasons. The 2017-2018 season ended with a 2-17 record and the 2018-2019 season ended with a 12-13 record and a playoff appearance.

The Miners return their two top players in sophomore Markaila McCurdy, who averaged 15.4 points per game as a freshman and junior Ariyanna Ramirez, who averaged 11 points per game as a sophomore.

So far, the team has a 3-3 record with two losses in their recent tournament in Page, AZ and a loss to Class 4A powerhouse, Green Valley High School.

The team placed fifth out of eight teams in the Arizona tournament and have gained experience for their season here in Nevada.

“The tournament helped to gather as a team and to keep each other up,” said senior Esmeralda Balbuena. “It really set our mentality to keep pushing even when we were down. It let us open our eyes to who is really in the game.”

The coaching staff and players all seem to have one main goal for this season.

“State,” says coach Bennett. “That’s where we’re going to be at the end of the season.”