There Are Plenty Of Advantages Of Going To Community College

Estefanie Tinoco, Features Writer

Community college benefits the average student in dept. Some people believe community college isn’t just as beneficial as a university or a state college but I beg to differ. 

The main reasons why a person might choose community college over a state college is tuition and the balance of schedule that community college offers. 

The average yearly cost of tuition and fees for community college students in the U.S. is $3,347, compared to an average cost of $9,139 at four-year institutions. 

“After high school I will go to community college,” said senior David Ensico. “It’s less expensive than state college and I heard it’s more flexible.”

Attending a community college can be a good way for students to ease into the world of higher education and learn at their own pace. 

About 60 percent of community college students attend school part-time, so anyone interested in taking one or two classes at a time will not feel out of place.

While attending community college, you can have you own life and learn either slower or faster rather than a student in a university that puts all their time into school. 

Students all struggle in different ways. Being able to learn at your own pace benefits a student no matter what situation they are in. 

A student can balance work, school, mental state, family or simple don’t wanna rush themselves. 

“I believe that’s more than perfect, because i can balance school and working at the same time. While I am in school I can save up money for my future,” said junior Jasmin Rivera. 

Many community colleges offer smaller class sizes than larger schools, meaning students can find more personal attention and one-on-one time with instructors

You’ll be able to have easier access to office hours and find that your professors have significantly more time than they would in a large class where the teacher’s assistants handle most of the grading and help for students.

“I love the idea of one on one learning because in subjects like math, I struggle to learn. Knowing I can ask my teacher without feeling intimidated will help me on my education,” said junior Eduardo Flores. 

“The best advantage community college offers is that you GPA doesn’t have to be as high meaning you can work your way up into a state school,” said Administrator Mr. Torres. 

Thus, community college is a great start into your career. You can start off with a 2.5 GPA and work your way into a 3.0 GPA if you want to attend a state college. That is always an option. 

Therefore, if you struggled with keeping up your GPA and don’t have the requirements for a state college, community college can benefit you that way.

“I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up,” is something students always say.

You might not know what you want to do for the rest of your life, some community colleges’ give you the option to explore the various programs available to you. 

If you are confused or just don’t know community college always has the alternatives out for you.

Community college might seem as if only people with a lower education attend it but it provides many great options for a student that just got out of high school. It should always be an option for your future.