A Hopeful Beginning For Miner Girls Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Isabellah Duran

Photo by Isabellah Duran

Photo by Isabellah Duran

Cheryl Edenfield, Sports Writer

The 2019 season has had its ups and downs for the Miner Girls basketball team. Their season started with a preseason opener on December 2 against SECTA. That game resulted in a 29-15 win. Sunrise Mountain then followed that up with a rout of Del Sol, 58-23.

The Lady Miners also attended the Lake Powell Holiday Shootout in Page, Arizona. The team split games on Dec. 6 & 7 before finally losing in the consolation bracket. Sunrise Mountain placed fifth in the tournament overall.

A tournament experience can be a great way to bring a team together, especially a tournament that requires travelling, such as this one. 

“I believe the tournament mentally and physically prepared us for our season,” said junior Ayreonn Oliphant. “I say mentally because it gave us a strong outlook on what’s yet to come during our season as a whole. By it being a way to put us on track as we go further into it.”

Returning from the tournament, the Miners played Class 4A powerhouse, Green Valley High School in Gator territory, which resulted in a 55-39 loss. Despite the lopsided defeat against a challenging squad, sophomore Markaila McCurdy scored 28 points.

Finally, the Miners began their league schedule, facing off against Boulder City on December 13. Unfortunately, the Eagles came out on top by 11 points, 42-31. 

The Lady Miners have a few ideas of what to do in order to change the outcome of their games for the better.

“[We can take the Boulder City game] as a learning opportunity, look back at the mistakes that were made, and focus on how to improve them,” said junior Alexia Miranda.

These “learning opportunities” are taken seriously in practice by Coach Bennett.

“Things we do to prepare for our success in practice is to keep each other close and hold each other accountable for our actions and keep each other up because we know what we are capable of doing and we do that in practice by cheering our team on,” said senior Esmeralda Balbuena. “Another example is if we know we really didn’t want to condition or keep doing lay-up drills, we know something good is always going to come out of it. We push each other even if we are tired and we stay together.”

Hopefully, the team can continue to get better and learn from previous mistakes in practice in order to bring a state championship trophy to Sunrise Mountain High School.

“I’m content with our record,” said team captain Aiyana Ramirez. “I have the most confidence in my team to win state.”