Finding Yourself After Making Mistakes

Do Not Be Afraid To Admit Your Faults

Karla Sanchez

Karla Sanchez, Feature Writer

Teenagers are known for messing up. They make regrettable choices that could follow them for the rest of their lives, and while they are fully responsible for their actions, they should be able to learn from their mistakes. 

No human is perfect, and the standards that some teenagers are held to make them cling on to too much pressure. It makes teens uncomfortable and weak, but it is significant that teens learn from their mistakes and move past them.

Some people may disagree and say that teens are old enough to come face to face with their actions, and while that is true, they should not be chastised their entire lives for a weak choice. 

Kids will often find themselves in situations that are made up of peer pressure or curiosity, and that is normal. Of course, most teens know better by the age they are at, but they do not always do what is best for them.

As someone who is currently in one of the most uncomfortable situations I have ever been in, I have learned to become more accepting of my errors, but to change myself for the better. 

I have become less risky with my actions, and less selfish when it comes to who may be affected by those choices. 

If being scolded is not enough, it is difficult to distract myself about my circumstances. As someone who suffers from overthinking and severe anxiety, I have not been able to stop thinking the worst.

At first, it was difficult to accept the situation I was in. I wanted it to be a dream so badly, a dream way too vivid and that I would laugh off when I woke up. 

I was upset with myself, but I had to learn that my risky actions were going to face consequences at one point. 

When I spoke to my therapist, I had an epiphany about my actions. I realized how much I had changed from my junior year of high school to my senior year, and I was shocked by myself. 

I had changed for the better and also for the worst, and I was too ignorant to realize that. I was spending too much time with my head in the clouds, and I was at my all-time high. 

My mom had told me that while she was disappointed in me, she would still support me and she knew that I was better than that. 

Her and my boyfriend have been my biggest support systems in these times of trouble. My sisters as well, as they knew that although I had messed up, they had been in a situation like mine as well. 

I remember the day that I got suspended, I was distraught. Up until now, I had never been in trouble at school; no detentions, no academic probation, none of that. 

I have always been a good student, and I still am. I am not a bad person, I just got caught up doing risky things. 

When I told people about my situation, they were surprised to say the least. My mom, my classmates, even some of my teachers. It was upsetting and embarrassing. 

Although I am still distressed, I think it is critical that people, especially teens, should learn from their mistakes. They should get second chances, not just because they are young, but because people are bound to screw up.

Students learn from their actions and consequences; they are not going around waiting to do the next dangerous or risky thing that comes their way. We are willing to learn and grow.

For students who may feel like there is no one there to support you or understand you, I know what it is like to be in your position. I will be there to acknowledge those feelings, too. 

People may feel like they are their mistakes and that they cannot achieve anything beyond those mistakes, but that is not always true. It relates to some people, but not to most kids who made a dumb choice.

I think that in order for anyone to go past their mistakes, that they should first accept that what they did was wrong. 

Some people do not want to admit that they were in the wrong, but if you cannot accept that, then I believe you are not ready to move past your mistakes.

Do not be ready to grow if you are not ready to be held responsible for your actions. It is not  as simple as accepting and growing, because there are so many steps into that, but it is a process meant to take time.

Learn that if you make a poor choice you will be faced with poor consequences, and next time you will for sure be more considerate of your actions. 

Be realistic with yourself and set goals that you know are achievable. Know your purpose, find new hobbies, but try not to get yourself caught up with your errors. 

Let others give you a second chance, but also give yourself a second chance. Do not be too hard on yourself; you are more than just your mistakes.