Girls Basketball Picks Up Another Pair Of Wins

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Cheryl Edenfield, Sports Writer

The Sunrise Mountain girls basketball team had successful games against Chaparral High School and Sky Pointe Academy. Both games were played on the Miners’ court on January 14 and January 16. 

The first game of the week, against Chaparral, was a harder fought win than expected. The final score of this game was 35-42 in favor of Sunrise Mountain, only a seven point differential.

“We need to get into the game quicker,”said junior Aiyana Ramirez. “We also need to stop getting in our heads so much and play like we should the whole game.”

In light of this fortunate, though underwhelming win, the Miners got back into the gym for practice in preparation for their game against the Sky Pointe Eagles. 

This match resulted in a positive turnaround for the Miners. Sunrise Mountain only allowed the Eagles to score six points in the first quarter. That would be the only points the Eagles scored in the whole game as the Miners did not allow Sky Pointe to score any more points through the rest of the game. 

The Mountain had three players in double figures with sophomore Markaila McCurdy scoring 15 points.

According to senior Esmeralda Balbuena, the Miners had a change in their mindset which allowed them to turn their game around against the Eagles.

“In the Chap game, our team didn’t think it was important to try as hard as we should in every game we play,” said Balbuena. “In the Sky Pointe game, we brought our game back and took some anger out on the other team.”