Jesus Castro Qualifies For State Tournament

Photo by Esmeralda Palacios

Lizbeth Martin, Sports Writer

Sunrise Mountain junior Jesus Castro proved to be the only wrestler to qualify for the state tournament. The 220-pound wrestler captured fourth place at the Class 3A Southern Regional Championships, which will send him to the state tournament.

Castro practiced really hard, and has dedicated his time to wrestling. To make it even more impressive, Castro wrestled with a injured ankle to qualify for state.

Castro has been wrestling since his freshman year, and also his first time he qualifies for the state tournament. Castro has trained after school most of the week, and has won wresting matches to be able to qualified for the state tournament.

Castro lost the third-place match to Virgin Valley’s Shane Zarate, 8-2.

“Only the tough wrestlers go to the state tournament,” said Castro. “I wrestled with an injured ankle. I didn’t want to wrestle anymore, but my parents and coaches convinced me to.”

Going into a state tournament is nerve wracking, but at the same time it’s a great experienced.

“I am nervous, because I’m going against different schools which I’ve never wrestler before,” said Castro.

The state tournament only had the best of the best athletes, so there is going to be a lot of competition.

“There’s a lot of competition, even people who are better than me,” said Castro.

Several Sunrise Mountain wrestlers fell just short of a state touranment run as you must place in the top-four to advance. Four others placed in fifth place, including junior Osvaldo Diaz Rosas at 106 pounds, sophomore Juan Gomez at 113 pounds, junior Issa Ziadeh at 170 pounds, while sophomore James Banks, wrestling at the 285-pound weight class, also took fifth.