Success For Girls Basketball Against Moapa Valley, Chaparral

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Cheryl Edenfield, Sports Writer

The Lady Miners faced off against the Moapa Valley Pirates on Monday and the Chaparral Cowboys on Wednesday. Both resulted in wins for the Mountain.

The hard-fought win against Moapa Valley was a big accomplishment for the Miners as the Pirates are the top team in the 3A Sunrise league.

Both teams were tied at 24 at halftime. The Miners outscored the Pirates by three points in the third quarter then both teams scored 11 points in the fourth quarter. The final score was 45-42.

Sunrise Mountain had three players scoring in double figures in the match with Aiyana Ramirez scoring 18 points.

“Do I think [the Moapa game] set the tone? That continues to be seen,” said head coach Bennett. “However I do think it will be a pivotal point along our playoff run. I definitely believe it was a turning point for our team as far as understanding what it takes to win a tough game in a hostile environment and how to battle back and forth against a strong opponent.”

The Miners were able to keep up their momentum on Wednesday when they played the Chaparral Cowboys although they faced a hard situation.

Top player Aiyana Ramirez sprained her ankle in the third quarter of the game. The rest of the team was left to compensate on the court for the loss. Sophomore Markaila McCurdy scored 23 points and the Miners were able to hold the Cowboys to 34 points in the game as a whole. The final score was 60-34.

“When Aiyana got hurt, it motivated us to keep playing even with a player down,” said junior Alexia Miranda. “It pushed us to run them out of their gym to prove that it wouldn’t affect the game.”