Boys Basketball Team Makes History

Team scores its first playoff win ever in school history

Photo by Lizbeth Martin

Lizbeth Martin, Sports Writer

This season was the best season in the history of Sunrise Mountain. They reach the playoffs and won the first round of the Class 3A Southern Region playoffs — the school’s first-ever playoff win.

They played against Valley High School, and won, 56-44. They were trailing during first and second quarter, but made a comeback in the second half. The team fell short of a state title berth when they fell to Boulder City in the following matchup, 80-78. A victory would have put them in the state tournament.

“I did good, but we lost, but at least we made it to the playoffs,” said junior Dai Quan Sykes. “Me as an individual, I think I could’ve done better.”

The Miners had won 10 games and only lost 3 games during regular season. The Miners didn’t fare well against Boulder City in either of their first two matchups during the regular season, falling 53-31 in Boulder City, followed by a 60-43 loss at home. However, the improvements showed as the Miners made it close.

“I feel like it was a great experience, I feel like I did good, but could’ve done better,” said junior Kaidence Young.

However, the victory against Valley was significant as the boys basketball team made history on 2/18/20.

The Miners went against Valley High School they are in the class 3A Sunset League. Valley was the higher seed.

“I’m happy that we are the team that won the first round of the playoffs,” said junior Sykes “I’m the leader of the team so I feel like we did better.”

Boys basketball feels proud of what they have accomplish this season, because even though they lost the second round of play-offs they did more than previous basketball teams at Sunrise Mountain.

“I feel proud, but I could’ve accomplish more,” said Young.

There are big exceptions for boys basketball next season. The Miners want to go farther than just winning the first round of the playoffs.

“To win state, “said Kaidence Young.