Students More Focused For Second Semester Of Virtual Learning

The second semester of virtual school has just arrived. It was just like yesterday where it was announced that the 2020-21 school year would be virtual.

From going to physical lectures to Google Meets, school took a U-turn from what most least expected for what their high school experience would be like.

With that, comes triumphs and difficulties for students and teachers. Learning curves, Wi-Fi struggles, and internet malfunctions are all part of the virtual school package we all received back in August.

While time has gone by fast, mixed feelings still circulate on whether virtual school has or has not gotten better.

Some students have shown clear results that second semester can be considered a fresh new slate, that even teachers have noticed the well-achieved progress.

“Even though we face adverse and frustrating conditions, some choose to bloom and thrive online and I’m really seeing students thrive in the second semester,” said English teacher Dr. Hazzard.

First semester was new to everyone and lack of motivation was common. A brand new start has erupted for some students, which made the learning experience of virtual school positive.

“Virtual school has given students an experience that few of us over 18 have faced and with that experience-opportunity,” said Hazzard. “I’m really filled with admiration for the students who stick with their studies and keep working.”

From preschool to the class of 2021, having a whole school experience be virtual was something that not all students from previous years have had.

“In the beginning of the school year I was excited for it to be virtually and thought it was going to be easy,” said junior Alexia Chavez. “But as I experienced it and got this far into the school year, I find it stressful and overwhelming.

Virtual school seemed very fun to some students. The idea to stay in your own bed and go at your own pace; was exhilarating. However, reality soon hit that it can be considered very hard to time manage and keep up with work.

“I was stressed a lot with keeping up with my assignments and being at home,” said junior Alyssa Conley. “I think now I’ve got the hang of it and learned coping methods.”

Learning to adapt to the immense amount of assignments and stress came gradually to students.

Coping methods like taking breaks, having a schedule, and dealing with one assignment at a time helped students become comfortable with this new way of getting education.

Sensing that these coping strategies help students do better when it comes to assignments, that does not change the amount of social interaction they now lack.

“Students have felt more motivated to do school, to see more people,” said freshman Griselda Aguilar. “It felt exciting and something you looked forward to.”

Majority of the students get motivation to do their work because of their friends. Doing it towards a computer screen can be tiring and repetitive as time goes on.

“I would say a couple of students were able to adjust to virtual school, but the majority of the students have not been able to adjust.” said Aguilar

Learning at regular school can be difficult by itself, so no one really expected to go into online school and know everything.

While some students are beginning to adjust, some are not and that is perfectly fine. Fellow students and teachers are always available to help anyone with problems or overwhelming stress someone may have.

During this time, it is very important to help one another out and be there for each other. Virtual school is new for everyone so it is best to work things out as a community!