Miners Will Not Have To Get Vaccinated To Return To School

Recently the Clark County School District announced that students will be returning to school with freshmen and seniors allowed to return on March 22 and everyone else on April 6. Many students have been asking whether they be asked to take one of the recently released COVID-19 vaccines.

The vaccines (there are three of them) were recently released to the public. It has not been said if taking a vaccine will be mandatory for students or not. However, Sunrise Mountain principal Mr. Adams said that it will not be.

“No, we are not allowed to require students or adults to have the vaccine,” Adams said.

Some younger students are already attending school and it hasn’t been announced whether it is mandatory or not.

Younger children and teens are known to have a stronger immune system and don’t have as many negative effects compared to older adults. 

“I personally believe that all students should be required to be vaccinated. It not only protects them and their fellow students,” photography teacher Mr. Price said. “But, it protects the adults in the building. As of right now 39 percent of all teachers, administrators and support staff are over 50 years old and 27 percent of all staff have health conditions.”

Although younger children and teens are less likely to suffer negative effects, they can still carry the virus and pass it to anyone they come into contact with.

The vaccine being mandatory may cause a lot of controversy and can even cause parents to put their children in homeschool.

The vaccine hasn’t been out long enough to determine whether it is safe or not. No one really knows the long term effects of the vaccine either.

“I don’t think students will be required to take the vaccine because I feel like a lot of people are very cautious of this vaccine since it was developed in such a short time,” sophomore Ofelia Mejia said. “Since there was a lot of controversy about how safe the vaccine is, I don’t think it will be a requirement.”

The vaccine being required can be both a good and bad thing. If students were to get the vaccine, it would help stop the spread of COVID-19 throughout the school.

The vaccine can also help keep teachers and students with health conditions a lot more safe, but then again no one knows the long-term effects of the vaccine and it may affect everyone differently.

“If it manages to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 to allow us to gain herd immunity, then it is absolutely a good thing. However, the long term effects of the vaccine, and even coronavirus itself is still to be determined,” Government teacher Dr. Long said. “But at this point, the vaccine has potential to be a huge positive in getting us back to normal – whatever that looks like in the future.”

Even though the school district can’t make the vaccine mandatory, students choosing to take it can help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Although, it is doubtful that students will be asked to take the vaccine this soon, maybe the vaccine will be required in the future.