Are Teachers Giving Too Much Homework?

Since the 2020-21 school year has been moved online, there have been raising concerns about students’ workloads.

It’s a given that every year students will receive a decent amount of work in general. Though, this year is different.

“I feel like the amount of work they give us is overwhelming,” said senior Eva Sosa. “All my teachers pile up work every week like we do not have more classes.”

Many students have reported feeling overworked because many teachers have been giving two to three times more work than they’d usually give out if we were still in school physically and weren’t in a, you know, pandemic.

Before we continue this discussion, it is understood that not all teachers are assigning work like crazy, but there are enough of them assigning a lot of work in order for it to be an issue.

“Teachers are giving out way too much homework because they usually assign an assignment at the end of class and so do other classes even though it doesn’t sound like a lot,” said junior Angie Aguayo. “This happens every other day and it will even add up to this big pile of homework.”

To many, they may think, “it’s just homework, just do it and stop complaining.” But it’s not just the homework, it’s more than that.

Not everyone has the same home life. Some people may have many more things to take care of before they even get to do their homework. It can get stressful.

Some people have to work in order to help their family out or make money for themselves to get the things they need. Others have to take care of family and help siblings with online schooling.

“Here in my house I have two siblings doing online,” said senior Sarahid Bayardo. “It gets pretty hectic every other day if not every single day when my mom needs to come from work five hours before her shift to come help my sibling. because I can’t do so from 9-10 a.m. When I can I end up missing the whole lecture and get lost as to what exactly my teacher had mentioned throughout those 45 minutes.”

Therefore as a collective, we should be more understanding and mindful that everyone has been dealing with online schooling differently.

This pandemic has added on anxiety, uncertainty, and stress to everyone. By overworking the students, the stress that comes from homework is added onto that which makes dealing with school even harder because students feel like they can’t catch a break.

“I believe that teachers that give out too much homework should bring it down a notch,” said Bayardo. “Students have too much work to worry about as it is in their personal lives, so assigning more homework adds to more problems, hence why some suffer from stress”

Again, we as students acknowledge that not all teachers are assigning a ton of work, this is not with the intention of villainizing teachers. Students are just acknowledging that they feel overworked and those feelings are valid as well.

“[Some of the things I keep in mind are], how does the material that I am teaching help and expose my students to career opportunities,” said Crime and Justice teacher Lawrence Rush.

We also understand that teachers just want to set their students up for success; but with inadequate periods of relief between work can cause burn outs.

“At this point teachers shouldn’t worry about the students getting extra practice, but much rather how well their students are coping with school during this pandemic,” said Bayardo.

Teachers have been trying their best to make sure all of their students get the material they need to know, but this has also been hard on them as it has been for the students. As we can see, both parties have been having a tough time.

“Assigning work this year is more difficult, because I really have to think about what I am assigning and how to send and receive work,” said Spanish teacher Ms. Adler. “I have had to rework all my assignments because I want it to be easy to submit and easy to receive back.”

In order to come to a solution for this problem, we need to validate the feelings of both sides in order to take the next step.
What do the students feel? The students feel overwhelmed, overworked, and stressed due to the size of their workloads.

What do the teachers feel? They just want their students to be set up for success, so they assign the work they find necessary for that to happen. Therefore, they have probably been unconsciously assigning a surplus of work to each of their classes, sometimes they might not even realize they are assigning a lot.

Moreover, what are the mutual feelings between the students, teachers and other staff? Everyone may be feeling stressed and uncertain about life due to the pandemic. We are all collectively going through this.

A common denominator to this problem is a lack of communication between the teachers and the students. There seems to be a disconnect between the two.

So what is the solution to this issue?

As a collective, we need to understand, comprehend, communicate, and have patience.

As a student, if you feel that a teacher is going too fast and others feel the same way, let the teacher know about that.

If a teacher feels that something is going on with their students, they should make sure to check in with them and find out what is going on or to make sure that their class is on track, respectfully.

“I ask them to let me know what is going on if they have something that prevents them from attending class or getting work done,” said Adler. “Also, we have resources to help students in many ways outside of just classwork, but we can’t help if you don’t communicate those needs with us.”

Teachers won’t know that we’re having a hard time with their work if we don’t tell them, but there are some issues when it comes to the communication part.

“Some work is hard to understand and now it is harder to ask for help since we have to email and sometimes they take a while to respond back,” said Sosa.

Therefore, we should all make the effort to check emails regularly to make sure we’re all caught up and if you need to reach out to a teacher, email them if you’re comfortable doing so, no pressure.

There are also some alternatives for teachers to track their students progress that don’t involve emailing.

“I think that teachers should motivate students to do well in school,” said Sosa. “They should do some virtual games, such as Kahoot or Jeopardy. With that, it can keep students more focused and entertained in these hard times with virtual learning.”

This can also help students engage with the material in a way that isn’t too mentally draining and it lets teachers know where their students stand with the work.

In conclusion, don’t give the students an overwhelming amount of work and communicate, comprehend the issues, and understand where we all stand with each other; there is also no pressure in forcing communication if you don’t feel comfortable enough doing so.